You read the title right…BBQ sauce cupcakes.
There’s a grocery store chain in my area that offers a free cooking magazine at their stores. Most of the recipes are using specific ingredients found at their stores (store brand products) but they have good ideas. The issue I got the other day had a feature on recipes using their new BBQ sauce. Some of them were okay, like pizza sauce or pasta salad…but they cupcake recipe caught my eye. I don’t actually like store bought BBQ sauce but I really wanted to test this idea out. So I bought the specific brand of sauce recommended and baked up a batch of these goodies yesterday afternoon.
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup Sensations by Compliments No Limits Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup room temp butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup 35% cream
- 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce (same brand as above)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Blend all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl using an electric mixer (blend for 2 minutes on medium speed)
- Divide batter into 24 lined muffin cups and bake on middle rack of oven for 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then move to rack and cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, blend butter until smooth. Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 1 minute.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes
The recipe says the cupcakes are “Sweet, with a hint of smoke and spice”.
The cakes themselves were okay. The BBQ sauce added a little somethin’ somethin’ in terms of flavour. I felt like the icing was too strong and tasted weird. I was also really grossed because I was eating CAKE with BBQ SAUCE! Eeeeew….it’s a really weird combination!
But, my husband liked them!
I probably won’t be making this exact recipe again. I would likely make the cupcakes exactly the same but would use a different frosting that is sauce-free.
If you decide to make these for someone, don’t tell them there is BBQ sauce. They might get weirded our like I did.