Fall weather is perfect for warm sweaters, cozy blankets, bowls of hot soup and cranberry anything! There’s something about those tart little berries that make me think of this most perfect season. I came across this recipe for cranberry cake in a magazine and knew I had to make it. The original called for raspberries too but this time around, I omitted them. The seeds get stuck in my teeth anyways!
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whisky (I used Spicebox)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking pan with parchment paper
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together using a wooden spoon
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix
- Add the milk and mix well
- Fold in berries and pour into prepared baking dish
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from oven and poke with a fork several times. Set aside
- While cake is baking combine all sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium-low. Stir occasionally and remove from heat once cake is done.
- Pour sauce over hot cake and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving
If you don’t drink or are making this dessert for kids, you can skip the whiskey all together. Maybe make a nice powdered sugar and milk glaze instead?
UPDATE: I tried substituting honey for the sugar in both the batter and the sauce. It worked very well!