We live in a rural farming town with a big sign that says “CHICKEN: food created with nature’s approval”. That sign always makes me laugh a little but there is some validity behind it. Chicken is a great meat: it’s relatively inexpensive, it’s lean and healthy, it’s versatile and almost everyone like it.
As awesome as chicken is I find myself sometimes getting stuck on ways to cook it. I feel like I can only cover it in BBQ sauce so many times before I get sick of it (my husband on the other hand has no problem eating the same meal all week, which is great!). Breaded chicken strips were a go-to food item for me in college when I still lived with my family. They were fast and easy to make and I’d even dress them up with a little sauce and cheese for my brothers. But like most packaged food, they contain some not so pleasant ingredients. Now that I’m married I’m trying to prepare healthier meals but that also taste good and require little time to prep. I created this super easy chicken recipe that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 3 pieces of chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I used panko style)
- 2 tablespoons pulled pork spice
- pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat the egg in a shallow dish and set aside
- Combine bread crumbs, pulled pork spice and pepper in a separate shallow dish and set aside
- Trim chicken into strips and lay them in the egg dish (as many strips as will fit)
- Coat with egg on both sides and then transfer strips to bread crumb mixture.
- Coat each side evenly and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet or cooking stone
- Cook for about 15 minutes, flip the chicken and cook for another 15 minutes
I made crispy potatoes and served carrot sticks with my chicken and it was a pretty tasty meal! The prep took me about as much time as it would to make the frozen, packaged chicken strips but these are so much better.
This meal is great for kids too! You can cut the chicken into nuggets instead, but be sure to bake them for less time on each side.
Next week I will post the potato recipe, so check back for that!