I don’t know why but I really wanted a dresser in my dining room. Before we even bought this house I knew that’s what I wanted. Not for storing clothes (because that’s just silly!) but for keeping extra dishes, linens, etc…
I brought the idea to my then fiance, now husband, a few months ago and he said that was fine. I suggested maybe we use one of his dressers and just get a piece of glass made for the top (to protect the wood). Again, he said that was okay. A little while later he said he just wanted to keep the dresser in the bedroom so I suggested we buy a secondhand one and I can paint it. He struggled with the concept of painting a potentially old and lovely piece of wooden furniture…so my next idea was to buy new and paint that. He approved!
I found this really neat tutorial for making painted wood look worn. It is a 3 step process for my project: distressing, painting, staining.
I found this brand new dresser for $99 at a store similar to Ikea.
It’s just unfinished pine and comes with 6 drawers. I wanted to create a piece that looked worn and beat up…like it had been painted a couple times.
So my husband gave me some tools (screw, crowbar, hammer and hatchet) and I went to town beating my dresser.
(this is just a small section of the ‘damage’)
Then I went outside to paint it! I bought 2 cans or Rustoleum “Colonial Red” spray paint but only used 1. I apologize in advance for the picture of me painting…I woke up one morning and said to my husband “I’m going to paint now” while I was wearing old PJs and my husband’s coat. He sneakily took pictures through the back door.
Painting is done! I did a couple coats and let it all dry outside for a couple hours (it was pretty chilly out, but also sunny. The sun dried most of the paint so we could move it inside after a couple hours).
Side note…wear gloves while spray painting outside.
I spray painted in the morning and we left for our honeymoon that afternoon. The dresser had a full 2 days to dry before I started the staining process.
I used Minwax Wood Finish in cherry and a staining kit that came with gloves, an applicator sponge and a cleaning rag. I also used a brush for painting walls. The process was really easy: paint the stain in an even layer over a small patch of dresser, wait a minute or two and rub it in with the rag. A lot of the stain came off but that’s the look I was going for.
Here is a teaser of how it turned out.
I haven’t taken a picture of it all set up in our home yet, so check back soon!