Today I’m sharing a modified version of a classic: banana bread that is vegan and sugar free.
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips (or to make it truly vegan use these!)
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a loaf pan (you could use vegetable oil or a vegan butter spread)
- Stir honey and bananas together in a medium bowl
- Add the dry ingredients to the honey and banana mixture and stir until just combined and the flour disappears
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes (cooking time varies with each oven)
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack
So, I did use sugar here but it’s a naturally occurring sugar so I like to think it’s healthier than refined white sugar. I also added some oats to give it a nice texture and make it heartier. The chocolate chips I used were actually not vegan because I didn’t have any on hand, but a variety of stores carry vegan chocolate chips or you can order some online. If you’re looking to be even MORE heath conscious may I suggest raw vegan cacao nibs? My sister-in-law is a raw vegan, which means she doesn’t eat anything cooked or anything that comes from animals, and she introduced me to cacao nibs. I’ll admit I haven’t acquired a taste for it yet when eaten plain but it tastes pretty good in baked goods.
Usually I enjoy sugary snacks and this banana bread satisfies those cravings but ensures I’m not just eating empty calories. Plus, since there is good stuff like oats and honey a slice of this makes an excellent breakfast!
Are there any other recipes you’d like to see made vegan? Send me an e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or comment below and I’ll see what I can do!