I’m excited to be sharing this new recipe I found for lemon loaf. My mother-in-law, Lois, makes a really good loaf, full of tangy goodness with a sugary sweet glaze that I want to eat with a spoon. I obtained the recipe when David and I were married and we enjoyed it many times. Then we started baking with whole wheat flour and I had to tweak all my recipes to accommodate the denser flour. Sadly, the lemon loaf was one recipe I couldn’t master with the whole wheat flour.
When I acquired a few pounds of lemons last week I wondered what do with them all, and then I had a craving for lemon loaf. I took to Pinterest to find a whole wheat recipe and wasn’t disappointed! In my typical Christina fashion, I tweaked the recipe to suit our tastes.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used avocado)
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan lightly
- Combine the flour, sugar and baking soda in a large bowl
- Add the oil and ¼ cup of the lemon juice; mix lightly
- Add the water and stir until just combined
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the middle of loaf comes out clean
- Cool on a wire rack
- In a small bowl combine icing sugar and remaining ¼ cup lemon juice for glaze
- Pour over cooled cake, or let drizzle on warm cake
The baking soda and lemon juice mix together to create wonderful bubbles, which give the loaf an airy texture.
Full disclosure: this loaf was gone from my home within 24 hours of baking it. You see, I had a test slice to make sure it was okay (or, as we used to say in my family growing up: taking one for the family). Then David got home and had a slice. Then he had a couple slices in his lunch. I ate a piece for breakfast the next day and will take another for lunch. NOREGRETS.
AND THAT GLAZE! Seriously, I licked the bowl and the spatula when I was done icing the loaf. Then I licked the cutting board since it had all those wonderful drops of icing from the photo shoot. Haha, I’m kidding…I didn’t lick the cutting board…that would be silly. And pathetic. Actually, I did lick it.
Now that I have an updated lemon loaf recipe at my disposal I know this will be made frequently. Maybe with another citrus juice instead?